Keep wellness close 24/7, on your phone or laptop. Featured here are tried and true recommendations for podcasts, apps, and websites from our very own Wellness Initiative team members.
We would love to hear about your favorite podcasts and apps. Send us an email here!
- Take Care: A weekly conversation on treating illness and enhancing wellness, Take Care draws upon the expertise of both regional guests and the country's leading authorities on medicine, technology, psychology and human behavior, health care, and public policy.
- Nutrition Facts with Dr. Greger: Have you ever wondered if there’s a natural way to lower your high blood pressure, guard against Alzheimers, lose weight, and feel better? Learn about evidence-based nutrition with Michael Greger, M.D. FACLM, founder of NutritionFacts.org and author of the New York Times bestseller “How Not to Die”.
- Meditation Oasis: This podcast features guided meditations, instructions for meditation, and music for meditation.
- Mental Illness Happy Hour: Comedian Paul Gilmartin hosts a weekly, hour-long audio podcast consisting of interviews with artists, friends and the occasional doctor. The show is geared towards anyone interested in or affected by depression, addiction and other mental challenges.
- Earth Eats: Earth Eats is a weekly program of real food and green living hosted by Chef Daniel Orr. The podcast explores local food and sustainable agriculture with recipes you can make at home, interviews with local farmers and Chef Orr's musings on food, history and culture.
- Living Yoga: Ashley Serrao and Evan Soroka's Living Yoga is KDNK's place to talk all things Yoga, whether it's learning about the physical benefits of postures, breath, and meditation or simply discussing how to incorporate yogic principles into every day living.
- Only Human: Only Human is a show about health that we all can relate to. Because everybody has a story.
- StoryCorps: StoryCorps travels the country collecting the stories of everyday people, who get to take the microphone and interview each other about their lives. Each week, the StoryCorps podcast shares these unscripted conversations, revealing the wisdom, courage, and poetry in the words of people you might not notice walking down the street.
- TEDTalks Health: From way-new medical breakthroughs to smart daily health habits, doctors and researchers share their discoveries about medicine and well-being onstage at the TED conference, TEDx events and partner events around the world.
+ MEDITATION AND RELAXATION APPS
- Headspace: Meditation made simple. Guided meditations suitable for all levels from Headspace. Meditation can help improve your focus, exercise mindful awareness, relieve anxiety and reduce stress. Free take-10 program, subscribe to get the whole collection.
- Pacifica: Stress, anxiety, and depression can get in the way of you living your life. Pacifica gives you holistic tools to address it based on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness, relaxation, and health.
- Buddhify: Practical, playful and beautifully-designed, buddhify increases your wellbeing by teaching you mindfulness-based meditation on the go.
- Calm: Calm is the perfect meditation app for beginners, but also includes hundreds of programs for intermediate and advanced users. Guided meditation sessions are available in lengths of 3, 5, 10, 15, 20 or 25 minutes so you can choose the perfect length to fit with your schedule.
- Relax Melodies: Select sounds and melodies that you like and combine and adjust the volume of each sound to create a mix. Add one of our meditations specially designed for sleep, lay back, listen, and enjoy falling asleep.
- OMG. I Can Meditate!: Meditation and mindfulness app, some shorter meditations than the usual variety.
+ FOOD & EXERCISE APPS
- Couch to 5K Running App: Get off the couch and get running! This app paces for you, talks to you, and takes all the guesswork out of running.
- Zombies, Run!: Tie your shoes, put on your headphones, and step outside with this ultra-immersive running app where you are being chased by zombies! Every run becomes a mission where you’re the hero, with immersive audio drama putting you at the centre of your very own zombie adventure story.
- 7 Minute Workout: Become your own personal trainer to lose weight and get fit with fast, simple daily workouts. 12 high intensity bodyweight exercises. 30 seconds per exercise, 10 seconds rest between exercises.
- FoodPrint Diet by Nutrino: Personal diet and weight loss plan. Gives you personalized meal suggestions which are based on YOUR tastes, health and fitness goals, other dietary needs, and even your physical activity throughout the day.
- iPick Produce: Comprehensive guide detailing how to pick and store produce. Learn which produce to smell, which to knock, which to shake, and which to squeeze.
+ COOL WEBSITES
- Calming Manatee: Exactly what it sounds like.
- Noisli: Create your own 'sound environment' by mixing different sounds like water, nature, fire, or even a quiet coffeeshop. Perfect for drowning out annoying noises in order to better focus and boost productivity. You can also create a pleasant sound environment for relaxing or sleeping.
- f.lux: Designed to help late-night computer users save their eyes, this program provides a softer and gentler backlight for the screen by helping the display adapt to the time of the day.